How does one learn to be a great Hebrew Through Movement teacher? The JECC has developed an online seminar that helps you learn the teaching skills behind Hebrew Through Movement (HTM). Over the course of seminar you'll learn why HTM is a superb way for your students to learn Hebrew, the principles behind this model of language learning, how to set up a classroom whether it's very tiny or quite large, how we've laid out the curriculum guide (available for free download), the steps in creating a really engaging teaching-script, and how you evaluate student learning. We'll connect you into a larger community of teachers working with Hebrew Through Movement via our Facebook group and we'll provide feedback on your teaching.
What happens in each module? We have some short readings, but mostly there are videos for you to watch (many of classroom learning that you won't find on HebrewThroughMovement.org). So for instance, Module #4, you'll watch a very short powerpoint that explains the HTM teaching principles and then we'll ask you to look at some Hebrew Through Movement classes to see where and how you find the principles in action. You will record what you observe on a worksheet and submit it to your online learning facilitator for feedback.
When the modules are completed, you will be able to:
- Explain why Hebrew is important content in a Jewish curriculum
- Define brain-based learning and offer examples of its elements in a classroom that uses Hebrew Through Movement
- Explain each of the HTM teaching principles
- Identify each of the principles in "action" in an actual classroom setting
- Set up a classroom that supports the learning of Hebrew using HTM
- Utilize the "Hebrew Through Movement" curriculum as a basis for planning classroom learning
- Identify the qualities of a good teaching script
- Write scripts using the defined qualities
- Identify successful student learning
- Identify a class in which "65% of the students know the new words"
- Remediate student learning, as needed
The seminar is asynchronous and open 24/7. There are 10 modules, each taking about one hour of learning time. You may work on the seminar at your convenience, whether it's while your own children are doing homework, or in the middle of the night in your PJs, or collaboratively with a colleague mid-afternoon at a coffee shop. YOU choose what works for you. We generally recommend that you "budget" one hour per week (or more) to complete the seminar in a timely fashion. And yes, you may do this in partnership with other teachers in the seminar, submitting assignments in all of your names.
Tuition is $100 per student, payable by credit card at the time of registration. Currently, there are two community "specials:"
- Teachers from Supplementary Schools in Greater Philadelphia are invited to enroll in Hebrew Through Movement at no cost as part of NEXT: The Professional Learning Program for Supplementary School Teachers of Gratz College. If this is "you," make sure to check off the registration question that asks about NEXT. Gratz College will take care of your payment..
- For teachers from Cleveland, this seminar is treated like a JESP; talk to your director about payment reimbursement. The community will pay you a completion stipend when you finish the seminar.
Hebrew Background: Teachers need a basic Hebrew LANGUAGE background to be successful teaching with Hebrew Through Movement. You might have had a college course in Hebrew (even 30 years ago!), participated in an adult education Hebrew language program, or any other equivalent learning experience . And, you might even be fluent! ;-) But, if all you know is prayer Hebrew, and words like shalom, tz'dakah or the parts of your body (ah, that old song "Rosh, raglayim!") you will struggle during the seminar and chances are that you will teach incorrectly to your students. Please talk to your director or supervisor if you don't think you have enough Hebrew to be successful. You may wish to spend a year learning Hebrew "as an adult," or to shadow another Hebrew Through Movement teacher for a year.
Are you ready to register? Our registration form gathers some basic information about you - e.g., your contact information and background, your director's email, your comfort level with technology and your Hebrew background. Note that we have a small gift to send your way, which is why we ask for a "real" mail address; you may give us your home address or that of your educational program.
To complete your registration, you will be asked to pay by credit card before you click "submit." If your institution will be paying for your tuition, EITHER enter your card and then ask for reimbursement OR sit with your director while filling out the form so s/he can enter credit card information. Once submitted you will almost immediately receive a receipt for your credit card payment from our company, Stripe. It will come to the email address of the person registering for the seminar. Please look for it (while not common, it's possible that it was caught by the Spam Folder). Directors - if you registered on behalf of your teacher(s), make sure to ask them to look for this receipt and forward it to you.
And what next? Within an hour or two of registration, you will receive a welcome and instruction letter from the JECC; make sure to check your spam folder if you don't find it in your inbox. It will take us up to 36 hours to complete your registration, getting you fully into the seminar. Feel free to contact Nachama Skolnik Moskowitz if you have any issues or questions: email@example.com
We wish you a really wonderful experience learning about and teaching Hebrew Through Movement!